Hello ASCE members!
Week 2 is over and we hope your term is off to a great start. This email’s a little long as we sort out some of the amazing and thrilling events coming up over the next couple of months. You can always check out our events page (HERE) for upcoming events.
This weekend, the Concrete Canoe team started pouring the canoe! They’re happy for any help and/or company, so if you’re interested in helping, contact them email@example.com for their next meeting time.
THIS TUESDAY 1/19 – ENVISION Infrastructure Rating System Presentation at the Oregon ASCE Section Meeting ***REGISTRATION REQUIRED BY SUNDAY NIGHT***
This Tuesday, 1/19/16, the local ASCE Section Meeting is being held at Kells Irish Pub from 6pm – 9pm. This will be on the topic of the Envision system, which is a LEED-like program for infrastructure. We are planning a group outing (power in numbers!), and will be meeting in the EB atrium at 6pm to walk over together. Since this is a catered event, admission is $15 (includes dinner) and you need to register by THIS SUNDAY (TONIGHT). You can register right HERE. Please let us know if you will be walking with us by filling out this form.
ASCE Environmental & Water Resource Group Monthly Meeting – Wednesday 1/27 11:30 am – 1 pm
Location: Lucky Labrador Brew Pub, 915 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR 97214
Topic: Columbia Slough Biohabitat Restoration, Fred MacGregor, BES
More Information: http://oregonewrg.org/
Networking 11:30, Presentation 12 – 1 pm
General Meeting – Thursday 2/11/16 4 pm *TENTATIVE*
Coming up, we have a General Meeting on 2/11/16 at 4pm to announce elections for President, Treasurer, Secretary, and Communications Officer. If you’re interested in any of these positions, please come to the meeting then, visit one of our officer meetings, or email us for details. We’ll also be sending out an email with more information as well.
Design Reveal and Networking Event – Thursday 2/18/16 5:30 pm
The Design Reveal for our competition steel bridge, concrete canoe teams, and environmental teams will be on 2/18/16 in the EB Atrium at 5:30 pm. This will also be a professional mixer with instructors and local professionals, so come on by and say hello. **Business attire is strongly encouraged**
You can also look forward to the following activities this term (dates TBA):
Lunch & Learn and/or Site Visit: Troutdale Industrial Park (brownfield redevelopment). Read all about it!
Lunch & Learn: CH2M/Trimet plans for Bus Rapid Transit in Portland (SE Division development).
Lunch & Learn and/or Site Visit: Skanska School of Business renovation here at PSU
On-campus Job Opportunity Using CAD
This position will be working in the Campus Planning Office for Amanda Wolf. They are specifically looking for engineering and architecture students with CAD experience. Anyone who has taken CE 115 will qualify for this job.
Space Planning Assistant, Campus Planning Office, Portland State University
The individual in this part-time position (approximately 20 hours per week) will work for the Campus Planning Office, a division of PSU within Finance & Administration. Please visit http://www.pdx.edu/planning-sustainability for more information about the Campus Planning Office.
The individual in this position will assist with space planning and inventory management on the Portland State University campus. Typical tasks may include:
- Database management (using Asset Works, AiM Space and Facilities Management Database)
- Preparation and revision of 2D AutoCAD drawings
- Preparation of floorplans and other spatial diagrams
- Assistance with space and program planning
- Data entry
- Researching industry ‘best practices’ in academic space planning, allocation and inventory tracking
- Researching and benchmarking space management policies, procedures, and trends at other universities.
- Summarizing information
- Collecting and synthesizing quantitative and quantitative space data into presentation graphics and concise documents.
- Attending meetings and note-taking
- Current enrollment at Portland State University
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office, specifically including Excel
- Experience with AutoCAD
- Experience with databases
Hourly rate of $12-$14, depending on experience and student standing
Average of 20 hours a week.
Start date is negotiable.
How to Apply:
Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org expressing your interest in the position. Please include “Space Planning Assistant” in the email subject line.
Please include as attachments:
- Cover letter
- Work sample that demonstrates personal experience with AutoCAD (reports or other document that includes graphics originally created in AutoCAD are acceptable)
Cover letter should include:
- Current class standing and course load
- Current GPA, if applicable
- Degree/certificate being pursued including expected graduation, or enrollment in other program as applicable
- Current and ongoing availability
- Experience with relevant software
This position is open until filled.